Friday, August 31, 2012

Project Review The Phantom 2040 PART CIX [109th] Art Directing Color Background Keys

 Here is the final Color Key Background Painting based on my layout and design for Maxwell Madisons Hyper-Limo. Painted by June Miko.



 A Re-Post of my Layout for the above Painting.


 A Background painted by Jesse M. Santos based on my design[ though he re-drew it]

 Here is my original design for Aunt Heloises Living Room in her Brownstone.


 The Arcade entrance painted by Barbara Shade


 My Layout with Perspective Grid used for the layout of the arcade[ re-post]


 A Hallway in Maximum Inc used for Promos as well, painted by June Miko.

A shot of the final hall I designed for the Promotional Package from The Phantom 2040.
[ re-post]


Project Review
The Phantom 2040
PART CIX [109th]
Art Directing Color Background Keys

Client: Hearst Animation Productions.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date Spring 1993.


This is my 109th post covering the Conceptual Design and Art Direction work that I did for the TV animated series, The Phantom 2040 from in the early ninety's, and I've found a full set of photos I took back in the 90's of the backgrounds we were using to promote and sell the series.

As Art Director I am responsible for the overall look of the show, as dictated to me by Producers. I in essence "Sell" my concept internally first, then I help sell it to Corporate in NYC, they I help sell it to Mattel for a toy line, and finally I help sell it to the stations to air the show.

I had an in-house team of backgound painters with four talented artists, I had to direct. The range of talent was wide with three painters well over 50 when I was just in my 20's as an Art Director. That alone can be a bit of a hill to climb, as I am the 'new kid on the block', but all in all I was accepted and the team took direction well in most cases I could control[ more on that in another post].

So, today I am posting a few finished backgrounds that were designed by me, as Conceptual Designer on the show, them I oversaw the colors as Art Director for the show. Once these were done we made copies and sent them to Canada, South Korea, and the South of France for out three teams working on the series.I eventually flew out to each studio to help them get the n look of The Phantom 2040 for the various painters we used worldwide in our production of 52 shows.

If you are a FAN of The Phantom 2040, and on FACEBOOK, there is a group for that....  here.

There is a TAG on the list to the RIGHT for other Phantom 2o4o entry's, but you can click this as well.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment