Thursday, June 11, 2015

Project Review:3D Cards for Troy on DVD-TV Spot-Home Entertainment 2004-PART I

 A Birds-Eye overview shot of this animated 3D End Card I did for the TV spots for the release of Troy on DVD back in 2004.
 
 This early frame had higher 3D motion blur added as shown in this RAW 3D rendered image.

This ambient wireframe render shows the Sphere background reflection object that is hidden to camera.

 The DVD case gimbals into frame while the type is a straight slam as seen in this frame coming into safe frame.

 The type slamming into frame.

As the 3D objects slow down the blur reduces.

The Type and Case[ with linked DVD's inside] shown in a wireframe overlay render.


By just one second into the spot, the 3D type and DVD case are both in action safe and the last of the 3D Motion-Blur is fading.

 The seating in wireframe.

 Camera lowers and moves a bit to the right once the objects seat as the DVD discs inside come out in a one-two beat.
 
 DVD disc one peeking out.

 
Both of the DVD's are now animated out of the virtual DVD case.

 An final ambient rendered frame.

Project Review
3D Cards for Troy on DVD-TV Spot
Home Entertainment 2004-PART I

Client: Warner Brothers via The Cimarron Group.
Art Direction: Myself.
Project Date: May 2004.

I do thousands of 3D logos, mostly designed for Theatrical Film posters, but I do get to work on Motion Graphics frames as well, and back in 04', while still in-house @ The Cimarron Group running the 3D Design Dept, I was asked to create the 3D title cards for the Troy to DVD work going on in Home Entertainment division.

I was familiar with the property, as I had hand built the type for the trailers while still over at BLT Communications the year prior, so I was asked to create these 3D Type Cars as well as the animated DVD case wit the discs to animate out.

At the time I had not perfected my Single Point Bevel technique which I would now use for a property like this, especially since they used Trajan Pro for the title and I have built this out twice, so I did a flat-topped basic bevel for the type.

I used Cebas' Final Render Plug In renderer with the 3D Motion Blur which worked great. A quick set up and once I made the case, I've re-purposed it a dozen plus times with new artwork for the various Home Entertainment work I did during my stay there.

I did work for print as well that I will showcase in another post in the future.

Cheers, THOM

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Project Review: 1937 Sterling-J: Reconstruction via 3D Printing 2014-15-PART I

 The last version I built included a newly built cab, as the original 3D scan was very rough reflecting the part is currently un-restored. I did a paint test to check the surfaces.

The main progress work is all rendered in an ambient shader to show just surfaces. A 3/4 front low angle.

A birds eye render over the hood of the 1937 Sterling-J.

A front view elevated as well showing the grill as it flows into the sides.

A 3/4 back shot of the cab[ original rough with my new built 3D]

A lower height front view of the grill.

A close up on the hood side and emblem details.

The body hood would be cast in steel as the original via a lost-wax 3D-Print.

The nose.

My favoirite area is whre the 'jewelry' is, the little chrome details.

The final build with the new cab. 
 Here is a color test with the OG scanned Cab[ rougher shape]

Project Review
1937 Sterling-J
Reconstruction via 3D Printing 
2014-15-PART I

Client Roger Dean.
Creative Direction: Roger Dean and build team.
Project Date(s) Feb 2014 thru the present[ ongoing]

I have been doing more and more 3D Printing design work, as I was trained in Industrial Design Automotive at Art Center, so naturally a project like this is a dream one, that comes around only a few times in ones career.

As an avid VW and vintage Porsche fan, I was contacted by Roger Dean about a Speedster model I had made[here], and we proceeded to discuss the new technology and use of 3D Printing in the building of classic as well as custom automotive design.

Roger helped get the newly made Hebm├╝ller molds in Germany back, and has had many a Vintage VW grace the pages of Hot VW's over the years, and apart from secret work in that arena, he had this Sterling J project on deck to begin with.

His client owns dozens of Sterling's, an early American Semi Truck Marque, however the beautiful bodywork and Airflow grills are all destroyed and only exist in pictures. 

He has just the cab, so we started by having Scan-Site do a full point cloud scan of the existing cab to match the virtual build to match, and I built around that.

I proceeded to create all the parts needed for this 1937 Sterling Model J to be printed in 3D to build the buck out as well as to cast the aluminum parts as needed.

I've delivered the STL[ stereolithography] 3D Print files and they will be beginning with a 1/5th scale model begin with prior to the full size buck.

I will have more posts covering the progress of this first Sterling truck, so check back.

Cheers, THOM